Saturday, February 20, will be a casual meet at Foundry just to try to hit a few PR’s and get used to what a meet feels like. It will be casual, but we will make every effort to make it as close to a competitive meet as possible.
10:00 AM – Weigh-in
10:30 AM – Lifting begins
- Bench Press
There will be a brief break between lifts.
- If you are going to wear a belt, make it a good one. Velcro is not allowed.
- You will need knee-high socks for the deadlift.
- I’m not going to worry about knee sleeves or wraps (feel free to wear them if you’d like).
- But we will not be allowing squat suits or bench press shirts.
- A t-shirt (not a tank) is required for the squat and bench press for men and for all three lifts for women (try to find an old cotton one that grabs; nothing slippery).
- For a typical competition you will compete in a singlet. But I’m not going to ask you to buy one (yet) if you don’t have one. Please just wear tight fitting clothes. That will make lifting and judging easier.
- You’ll need to give me your “openers” (in kilos; start thinking in kilos!) – your first lift in each of the three – after you weigh in. Make your opener a lift that you know you can hit. A good suggestion is a weight that you can consistently double – at depth!
- Have all 9 “best-case-scenario” lifts in mind. If you miss, no big deal; we will adjust.
- If we have less than 15 lifters, we will have one “flight”. More than 15 and I will break it up. Count on no more than 15 minutes between lifts (first to second attempt, etc.). Usually, each lifter takes about 1 minute.
- In a standard meet format, you will have 1 minute max from the time the bar is loaded to lift (or get the judge’s command). We will stick with that.
- And you have 1 minute to give the judges your next attempt after you lift.
- Don’t worry. We will have a brief “rules” meeting before we start, but for now please practice bench pressing with a slight pause at the chest (momentary, brief stoppage of the bar).
We will use this scoring system for Best Lifters, but again your goal is to hit PRs!